The essential contract documents in home construction often include the following:
- Articles of agreement and conditions of contract (the main documents where you can see the summary of project scope, timeline, etc.)
- Bill of quantities
- List of trades, services and materials to complete the project
- As-built drawings (results to be expected when construction ends, also used as reference for future revisions)
- Construction costs (breakdown of expenses including materials and labour)
The goal is to set expectations on paper for compliance and complete results. This is to protect both the homeowner and contractor.
Why contract documents are important in design-build projects?
Documents are especially important in design-build projects (starting from scratch). That’s because we expect completeness when it comes to our dream homes.
For instance, we need to make sure that the following are already in the inclusions:
- Bathroom construction (including waterproofing the wet areas)
- Kitchen with tiling
- Electrical and safety features to be installed
- Installed doors, windows and shelving for wardrobes
In addition to the construction activity itself, the following technical services should also be included:
- Preparation of application for approvals of building plans and specifications
- Preparation of contracts for Lending Institution and Building Authority requirements
- Home Owner Warranty and Construction Risk Insurance
- Pest control treatment and certification
Smoother process for you as the homeowner
The detailed contract documents in home construction and inclusions will make realising your dream home a smoother process. Even the smallest details (e.g. waterproofing, garden taps, door stops) should be spelled out in the documents.
Moreover, detailed documents will ensure that everyone’s on the same page and has the same expectations. It’s often the case that problems arise after the project because of unclear expectations and the details weren’t spelled out.
How to choose a contractor to build your dream home
First, choose a reputable local builder with extensive construction experience. For instance, here at Hume Building we’ve been handling home construction projects since 2006. We have built homes in NSW South Coast, Western Sydney and Blue Mountains.
Our expert team lays out the plan with full details (read our Standard Inclusions so you can get an idea). You can also contact us today so you can learn more about our Inclusions and scope of services.